Wednesday 15 November 2017

Video Essay Evaluation

Evaluation

To produce my French new wave video essay I had to conduct vast amounts of research on why it had such an impact on cinema and how it all began. I started off my research by just simply researching where the French New Wave began, and how it was created. I researched the basic information about the film movement and then started to expand my research more specifically. I then researched the key individuals who went from writing reviews for the film magazine ‘Cahiers Du Cinema’. Godard and Truffaut both shared a vital role in the New Wave as they decided to go from writing about films, to directing them. I then watched a few of the most famous texts from the New wave. This included the likes of Godard's 'Breathless' (A Bout De souffle) and Truffaut's 400 Blows (Les 400 Coups).

For my video essay I decided to focus the first few minutes on the French New Waves history and how it all began. I felt by doing this it would give the viewers of my video essay a good in sight to what the New Wave specifically is and be able to understand more as my essay went on. I tried to include video clips from the three films I had chosen to focus on specifically, these were Breathless, 400 blows and Jules and Jim. I felt by using clips from these particular films it gave the essay more depth as the whole thing linked together. Once I felt I had gone into enough detail about the context of my chosen new wave I decided to talk about my chosen films and their directors, Godard and Truffaut. I found it difficult to find videos of the directors talking about their films and in interviews so I used clips of their films and began to introduce them into the video. Once I felt I had given a good explanation on their impact to cinema I analysed a clip from their film, which were my focused texts within my research. I felt this gave a good insight into the directors and their films and also the techniques used within this genre.

I did change my video essay last minute as throughout the video the text in which I was using to evaluate my chosen new wave was going over the moving image. After looking back at my video I found that there wasn’t enough time within the clips to read the text I had added on top. I resolved this by separating the clips with the text and using the text as an introduction for the oncoming clips and found that this worked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Survey results

The response to this question showed that more females answered my survey than males. For my video this means that it is likely to appeal ...